DELIVERING FRUIT AND BREAKFAST ROLLS TODAY - BRINGING HOPE AND KINDNESS
When you see their faces, touch their hands, exchange their smiles, you know it is why you have come. Over 250 men live at Iskra - the home for disabled men! Over 250 who are waiting each day for someone to care. The staff care, the doctors care, the director cares, but who else? You see their needs so clearly and you are quickly overwhelmed.
* serious outbreak of lice
* rooms in wrecked conditions
* only one sheet per bed - no washing machine or dryer in the facility
* wash a bed by hand and wait for them to dry - days? where does one sleep in the meantime?
* cups rusting - lead lined
* not enough bowls for each person to eat
* a few rusty spoons
* no hot water for showers - well no showers - only a few old tubs
* broken toilets
* room after room without electricity - in the halls only
* no reading items, no crafts, nothing to do
No point in going on. The new director borrowed $1,000 to start some work - the men are painting six room and they look good. This brings dignity - they have a purpose. How can we help? Paint? Funds? Floor coverings? Spoons? Cups? Might you have an idea? We are OVERWHELMED and in that moment of sadness that sometimes comes upon us in those dark moments of the night. What can we do?