|Including persons joining us on skype.|
BUILDING A TEAM FOR THE BENEFIT OF THOSE WHO ARE TRANSITIONING OUT OF THE ORPHANAGES
A WORLD WITHOUT ORPHANS
We called a meeting - and waited - we had 19 eager participants representing 24 countries - (thought we had 17, but two persons did not report all the countries where they are working).
Purpose of the meeting was to address two issues:
1. Graduating orphans - starting with Ukraine and moving to Kyrgyzstan and other countries.
2. Critical skills, knowledge and coaching needed by those who are working with vulnerable youth - orphans in the represented 24 countries noted above and beyond.
Passionate leaders flew in from all over the USA and Ukraine for this meeting. Each person works in a number of different countries. Each believe in a WORLD WITHOUT ORPHANS.
Here are our goals:
Develop a strategy to bring together different organizations in Ukraine that are working with graduating orphans. The purpose of bringing them together is to share resources, examine what works and what does not work, to identify programs of excellence and to develop an approach to working with graduating orphans that can be identified as a potential model for other countries struggling with the same questions. (We are excited to offer this to Kyrgyzstan once it is moving forward.)
Summary Action Plan for Goal #1:
· Put together a working group of Ukrainians and international members who will:
o Gather data (who/what/where of orphan graduate transition programs in Ukraine)
o Write a discussion paper which discusses global best practices in working with older orphans
o Organize an event for Fall 2014 which would bring together key leaders in this area in Ukraine
Develop a “template/skeleton” model for an Academy to develop capacity of those persons from other countries who are working with orphans, children and families in crisis. This draft model would identify both an approach, potential content and process for delivering training and coaching that would ensure national capacity could grow with national trainers and national consultants.
Summary Action Plan for Goal #2:
- · Work with team to identify and vet trainers from around the world who could train under academy
- · Work with team to identify and vet training material